Music Box

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Past Continuous Tense

We use the Past Continuous Tense for an action that was going on in the past when something else happened.

Examples:
1. While they were playing yesterday, they saw a snake.
2. I was going to the market when I saw Zhi Ming.
3. The bird was flying away when he shot it.
4. While we were flying, it started to rain.
5. I was writing a letter when the lights went out.

We also use the Past Continuous Tense for an action that was going on at a given period or point of time in the past.

Examples:
1. I was reading a book yesterday afternoon.
2. We were sleeping at 9 o'clock last night.
3. My mother was cooking all yesterday morning.
4. She was walking home at 8 o'clock last night.
5. He was digging in the garden all day yesterday.

1 comment: